BETWEEN is a modern guide for parents of 8-13 year-olds - also known as 'tweenagers'. Parenting expert and mother of four Sarah Ockwell-Smith will consider all the issues faced by parents and tweens today, with a focus on the biology, neurology, psychology and sociology of adolescence as well as plenty of practical parenting advice for common everyday situations.
The book will cover:
* How a child's brain and body develops in this age range and how this impacts their behaviour
*How your relationship with your child changes as they grow up - your new place as a parent
* Revisiting your own tween and teen years - why it's important to remove triggers and unhelpful inherited beliefs from your own upbringing
*Coping with common tween behaviour: disrespect, rudeness, backchat, swearing, sulks, defiance, laziness, anger and violence
* Speaking to your child about sex and relationships (including LGBTQ+ issues and body autonomy)
* Speaking to your child about racism, sexism and homophobia/transphobia
* Speaking to your child about diet, body care and body positivity
* Screen time and social media usage - how their online life impacts children today
* Sleep - how much tweens need, why most don't get enough and how to get them to have more
* Issues at school - including motivation, revision, homework, coping with workload, school related anxiety and bullying
* How to encourage good mental health and support children with common emotional issues (including climate change anxiety)
* Friendships and peer pressure - their impact and how to help if they go wrong, or are toxic. Encouraging individuality and coping with comparison.
* Independence and freedom - when to give it and how to strike an appropriate balance